Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Glassport to Boston, PA and back

Yesterday I took my Civic down to Matta Motors in Glassport, PA to get some work done on it and have it inspected.  Knowing it was going to take a few hours, I brought along my LeMond Poprad Cyclocross bike so I could do some exploring.  Of course a camera came along as well, and I got some cool pictures of a couple of abandoned buildings along the way.  One was in Glassport along the river, the others were along "The Loop" trail in McKeesport, PA.  "The Loop" is an alternate route to the GAP bike trail that takes you up to Boston and passes some of the old businesses along the river.  I poked into the Fort Pitt Steel Casting Plant, and the McKeesport Steel Foundry.  On the way back you ride along the GAP bicycle trail and pass Dead Man's Hollow which has some more ruins along its trails.  Of course I went in to investigate.

A gallery of photographs from the day - http://www.jonpratt.com/2011/Glassport-to-Boston-Loop-0829

A few pictures from my adventures -


McKeesport Steel Foundry Inc.
McKeesport Steel Foundry Inc.

The Heatmeter
The Heatmeter

the haunted ruins in Dead Mans Hollow, Allegheny Land Trust
the haunted ruins in Dead Man's Hollow, Allegheny Land Trust

Fort Pitt Steel Casting Plant along the McKeesport, Boston Loop on the GAP biking trail
Fort Pitt Steel Casting Plant along the McKeesport, Boston Loop on the GAP biking trail

No comments:

Post a Comment